Saturday 23 February 2013

Mumbai







Mumbai, like an ocean, has enveloped me. There’s something about its trains, its rains, its blasphemous crowds that bear this uncanny knack of yanking the survivor/ the rogue out of you. And I, ahem, have survived! I have survived flurried train-station-mini-stampedes, despicable office creeps, back breaking ‘no-maid’ days, laundry avalanches, crash and burn accidents with people while taking a de-tour whilst scurrying down the Dadar bridge en-route to office. Yes, Mumbai has drawn me in, without admonitions, wrapped me in a bubble, all while nudging me to try a little harder each time, every time.

The city is a far cry from all trite adjectives used to describe it - hurried it is, fast-moving it is - but Mumbai is also warm and delicious, enticing and scandalous. It is what you make of it, its misgivings, its idiosyncrasies, its irreverence and all.  

Its vagaries are manifold. Its annoyances several, but there is something inexplicable about the city that ties you to it with a long, invisible chord, and makes love for it grow roots rampant in your heart.

Sweet, aching are the million bindings that bind me to it, moulding me, breaking me, and re-shaping me in a manner that each life chapter bereft of its underpinnings; each story 'un-punctuated' by its vicissitudes seem insipid, unexciting.

My life here (as blah as it sounds) is a cocktail of long sojourns, aching heartbreaks, jocund friendships, and breathless detours and I, intend to gulp it with fervour while it lasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment